Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

Trade Brooks and call up Canaan

Isaiah Canaan Aaron Brooks trade Omer Asik point guard Vipers

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Fury

Fury

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationLee's Summit, MO

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:35 PM

Isaiah Canaan is putting up 20.8 ppg, 9.8 apg, and 4 rbg during his time thus far on the Rio Grande Valley Vipers. He is shooting 40% from 3, 43% from the floor, and his shot chart is like a Morey wet dream. This article goes so far as to suggest that he be called up already: 

http://spacecityscoo...aan-ready-call/

In the meantime, Aaron Brooks is posting 17.4 points and 4.2 assists per 36 minutes. His PER is a respectable 16.5. He is posting .132 WS/48, the gaudiest number of his career, and his TS% is 59.7, again the best of his career. (Stats courtesy of Basketball-Reference)

Given that Canaan fills much of the same role as Brooks as a score-first PG, isn't it time to start shopping around for a trade involving Brooks? This is especially true given the fact the Brooks is only making $884,293 this year.

Better yet, we should use Brooks as a trade chip in any deal including Asik. Between the two of them, we could get quite the package back. I wager that we would not miss a beat with Canaan replacing Brooks, and getting the rookie some NBA experience wouldn't be the worst thing for his development.

Thoughts?

#2 Chai

Chai

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:48 PM

You're comparing competition in the NBA and the D-League... I don't think much more needs to be said.

#3 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,290 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:51 PM

I don't think the market for brooks on his own Is very big, probably as a throw in with asik he would sweeten the pot. But the earliest I would expect a move would be around the deadline and perhaps Canaan tapers off a bit and it's wiser to keep brooks around.

#4 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 2,597 posts
      • LocationAlabama

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:10 PM

Lol at Brooks. Maybe a late second rounder or foreign player.

Why so Serious? :D

#5 Fury

Fury

• Members
      • Pip
      • 27 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:58 PM

Lol at Brooks. Maybe a late second rounder or foreign player.

Last year, I would have been LOL-ing right along with you, but facts are facts. He has an above average PER, and his other advanced stats are the best that they've been in his entire career, including his MIP season.

#6 Fury

Fury

• Members
      • Pip
      • 27 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:59 PM

You're comparing competition in the NBA and the D-League... I don't think much more needs to be said.

To that, I'd say that domination in the D-League indicates that he'd do perfectly fine as the 3rd PG on the depth chart. I'm not asking him to be CP3. I'm not even asking him to be Patrick Beverley. All that Canaan would have to do is provide a scoring punch off the bench when needed, and he has clearly shown that he can do so.

#7 Fury

Fury

• Members
      • Pip
      • 27 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:02 PM

I don't think the market for brooks on his own Is very big, probably as a throw in with asik he would sweeten the pot. But the earliest I would expect a move would be around the deadline and perhaps Canaan tapers off a bit and it's wiser to keep brooks around.

I would agree that Brooks alone probably doesn't bring much more than a pick. The only exception would be a team like the Bulls that is currently desperate for a PG. I would absolutely agree that he needs to be sweetener in an Asik deal. Rumor is that we are asking for two 1st round picks in an Asik deal. If we include Brooks, I think we can swing that.

With Canaan playing like he has down in the Valley, Brooks is a luxury. Morey and company have proven that they can scout with the best of them. If Brooks can get us an extra draft pick in an Asik deal, it will be more than worth it.

#8 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,125 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:32 PM

I'm more in tune with this. besides Brooks has a no trade clause in his contract. I believe we have a gem in Canaan, but he needs development. he is not ready for the NBA.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#9 datruth

datruth

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 162 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:00 AM

Man keep Brooks and get rid of Beverly.

#10 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 4,125 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:03 AM

Man keep Brooks and get rid of Beverly.

WHAT? totally disagree

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#11 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPipPip
        • 506 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:46 AM

Funny enough, Brooks (and Garica) actually have a no trade clause. something in the CBA about resigning guys with bird rights on small deal

http://www.hoopsrumo...eto-trades.html

Of our role guys I'd figure the liklihood of getting trade is probably Brewer >= Dmo >> Smith >>>>> Casppi >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> anyone else.

As for Canaan, the funny thing is his likely outcome is essentially Aaron Brooks.   The Vipers are trying some really interesting things down there though, they're chucking up 3s like no tomorrow.

Brooks is shooting .47%(!!!!) from 3s, there's no way Canaan can approach that (or Brooks for that matter.)   I see no reason to  believe he's the problem at this point, he's probably the best 3rd PG in the league by a pretty comfortable margin.

Edited by RollingWave, 05 December 2013 - 12:54 AM.

#12 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
          • 1,574 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:02 AM

Too early.  It's 5 games(regular season) into the Vipers season.  That's really all that needs to be said,

Brooks is a fan favorite, and he seems to love playing here and having an opportunity to be on a contender(by taking less money to stick with us), so he isn't going anywhere.

#13 HazeWinkle

HazeWinkle

• Members
            • Pip
            • 47 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:13 AM

Kevin Mchale hates playing rookies

#14 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPipPip
              • 671 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:48 AM

What's the point of bringing the kid up? When Lin comes back in a week, and even in a trade of brooks, he will only see spot minutes barring injuries or blowouts. You are better off keeping him in the d league for pro experience and playing time.

#15 Chai

Chai

• Members
                • Pip
                • 47 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:53 AM

To that, I'd say that domination in the D-League indicates that he'd do perfectly fine as the 3rd PG on the depth chart. I'm not asking him to be CP3. I'm not even asking him to be Patrick Beverley. All that Canaan would have to do is provide a scoring punch off the bench when needed, and he has clearly shown that he can do so.

If you also looked at his stats, you'd notice severe TO problem (3.2 TO per game, 2 and 6 in the last 2 games respectively when he's been shooting well). If he's having that many problems with TO with lesser competition, there's no way he can be a competent floor leader in real games, at least not now

#16 HazeWinkle

HazeWinkle

• Members
                  • Pip
                  • 47 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:41 AM

If you also looked at his stats, you'd notice severe TO problem (3.2 TO per game, 2 and 6 in the last 2 games respectively when he's been shooting well). If he's having that many problems with TO with lesser competition, there's no way he can be a competent floor leader in real games, at least not now

Then he should fit in with this team because Rockets are good at turning over the ball

#17 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • 2,008 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:49 AM

Trade Lin and Brooks. Start Canaan and bring Beverly off the bench.

#18 tombrokeoff

tombrokeoff

Advanced Member

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPip
                      • 594 posts
                      • LocationHouston

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:59 AM

dont think any of bev, lin, or brooks need to go anywhere until we actually get to see some of canaan in the league or we get a PG in return for the trade made.  just my 2c.

#19 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPip
                      • 1,636 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:31 AM

Time for the logic man to come in. Brooks has a no trade clause so that kills the initial topic, but he's the best 3rd string PG in the league any way. Canaan needs experience not bench warming so keep him in the D-league for at least this season. Done. 

#20 datruth

datruth

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 162 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:59 AM

rocket best fan,

I have been trying to find a worst starting point guard than Beverly.

Beverly plays 31 minutes or more a game.

Averages about 2 assists a game.

A limited playmaker and ball handler.

Averages 1.3 steals a night.

Shoots 40 % from the floor.

Shoots 35 %from 3.

The positive is he rebounds, but often we lose or give up  points because our pg is trying to get rebounds.

I'm open please give me a few starting pgs that play the minutes Beverly plays that are worst in the NBA.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Isaiah Canaan, Aaron Brooks, trade, Omer Asik, point guard, Vipers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users