Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  slick shoes : (11 May 2019 - 02:07 AM) turnovers and missed free throws the theme of the game thus far. throwing away endless points.
@  thejohnnygold : (09 May 2019 - 01:35 PM) I wish we had found a way to steal that game...it was there for the taking.
@  Mario Peña : (01 May 2019 - 04:09 AM) Is it me or does Capela look in over his head? Why is this happening now?
@  Mario Peña : (26 April 2019 - 09:14 PM) Imagine how much it ticks off Beverly, Harrell and Williams.
@  slick shoes : (25 April 2019 - 09:58 PM) Power move by the Rockets. We travel to Oakland ahead of their next game with the assumption that GSW wins. This gives LAC bulletin board material for the game.
@  thejohnnygold : (24 April 2019 - 01:47 PM) We needed to dust off Nene either way...I think that's the way to go.
@  Mario Peña : (23 April 2019 - 09:48 PM) I wonder if kicking the tires on Nene would be beneficial. Some Nene PNR and board crashing in short stints could help against Gobert/Favors.
@  slick shoes : (23 April 2019 - 09:26 PM) Going to have to dig deep tomorrow night with Clint limited. Will be curious to see how the coaching staff adjusts to their new formula. Perhaps driving in to Gobert and getting him in early foul trouble.
@  Mario Peña : (18 April 2019 - 03:41 PM) I agree slick.
@  slick shoes : (17 April 2019 - 01:02 PM) Boogie was their answer to our run in the WCF last year. When we cover all of their shooters they can dump it to Cousins who has a physical advantage over Clint and can also shoot the 3 which pulls him from the rim. They still have Bogut but this takes them back to the W's of last year which our team has shown to match up well against with full strength.
@  Mario Peña : (16 April 2019 - 08:50 PM) I think in a general sense you are correct Johnny. Getting specific to the Rockets though I think we have the personnel to wear Curry down defensively and offensively so for the Rockets could the exit of Cousins be a good thing? To me Cousins also presented a possible matchup wrinkle the Rockets have had to figure out, maybe?
@  thejohnnygold : (16 April 2019 - 04:47 PM) The Cousins injury is very interesting...Not sure if it helps or hurts them. My theory has always been the less Curry shoots the better it is for their opponent. This could lead to more Curry shooting :(
@  redfaithful : (16 April 2019 - 02:59 PM) Is it time to start the discussion which team is more dangerous as the Rockets 2nd round opponent? :D
@  slick shoes : (16 April 2019 - 12:58 PM) Nice win for the Rocke.... Clippers last night. Good to see Bev, Sweet Lou and Trez shining.
@  thejohnnygold : (13 April 2019 - 12:06 AM) I am very much looking forward to the playoffs. I like our chances.
@  thejohnnygold : (13 April 2019 - 12:05 AM) I agree 100%. Still, if that shot rims out...
@  DenverRocket : (12 April 2019 - 02:27 AM) I'd say the slow start was more to blame than a single 3-pointer (we shouldn't have allowed them to get into that position in the first place). Anyway, embrace the challenge I say- bring on the Jazz!
@  thejohnnygold : (11 April 2019 - 02:23 PM) It's hard to accept that one Paul George 3-pointer had that big of an effect on our postseason.
@  slick shoes : (10 April 2019 - 12:21 PM) boy, we really crapped the bed on that one.
@  redfaithful : (09 April 2019 - 09:40 AM) The potential 2nd round series against DEN just got a lot more interesting... https://twitter.com/...384573762760704

Photo

Dwight Howard Free Agency Watch

• Please log in to reply
574 replies to this topic

#81 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:30 AM

Good point. Do you have any ideas of what/who we could trade Asik for?

#82 manmythlegend

manmythlegend

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:47 AM

Perhaps a draft pick in next season's draft, which figures to have much more elite talent. The only thing is you never know which pick that would be, unless you're trading with the Hornets, then you're almost assured a top 5 pick. Your scenario of an Asik trade at the deadline could make a high pick more of a certainty, depending on who your trade partner is.

#83 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:46 AM

Makes sense, but I'm thinking that with the deadline scenario the team that wants Asik most likely wants him because they want to make a run at the playoffs. I don't see any team with a high lottery pick giving that up for Asik. 

Anyway, it seems like almost every year drafts are turning out to be deeper than predicted, and I think this year's draft might be no different. Morey has had plenty of good luck in the second round in the past (no need to look much further than Parsons for proof of that), and the Blazers have 3 second round picks. What if they were to throw in one or two of those second round picks along with the #10 pick (which we could use to draft Alex Len or Cody Zeller if you don't like Shabazz)?

Personally, I'm quite intrigued with Zeller, he could be the next Brook Lopez. Alex Len is interesting too as a very mobile defensive big man.

#84 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:55 AM

relevant: http://www.ysr1560.c...t-option-10526/

#85 Guest_Red94_*

Guest_Red94_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:11 AM

New post: Dwight Howard Free Agency Watch: Part 1
By: rahat huq

• At this point, by any logical vantage point, I just don't see how the Houston Rockets aren't the frontrunners to land Dwight Howard.  The oncourt personnel advantage has already been beaten to death and is unanimously accepted.  But now, it's even made its way into the conventional wisdom that Howard would actually stand to net more from a deal with Houston than he would by re-upping with L.A.  Forbes explains, factoring in both the jock tax and state income tax, that Howard would take home $8million more in a four-year deal with Houston than in a similar duration with the Lakers, arguing that Howard would  likely opt out of a Laker deal prior to the 5th year to seek yet another max deal.
  • What isn't mentioned, however, is that a) Howard would earn more in a second max with the Lakers because of the higher gross value of that initial contract and b) the likelihood of Howard being even worth the max at age 31.  As to point B, while I don't think Dwight Howard will command a full max at age 31, I'm not concerned because the relevant point is not whether he will but rather whether he today thinks that he will.  Because most athletes suffer from overconfidence bias, it's likely that Howard truly believes he will stand to command yet another full max contract in the latter stages of his career.

• L.A.'s sole selling point seems to be legacy and sense of entitlement, a seeming gesture that "we're the Lakers and we'll always get things back on track."  While there are a thousand reasons to think that this is the beginning of a drought for the Lakers, it may very well be the case that if Dwight stays, they will build it.  But for the Rockets, if he comes, it is already built.  There are no ifs or uncertainties.  Dwight would join a cast ready-made for contention with characters primed for the better stages of their careers.  Does a 27 year-old Dwight Howard really want to waste yet another season waiting for Kobe Bryant to recover or for a miraculous Lebron pairing?  It's been said that with Bryant gone, Howard can now "be the man" and have L.A. to himself.  But isn't that what he fled from in Orlando?  I think what he wants is to win.
  • The scenario that scares me is Jim Buss conceding power with Phil Jackson riding in on the white horse.
  • Lastly, I've been listening to a lot of sportsradio during my commute these past few weeks and what fascinates/stupefies me is the inordinately large amount of people who call into the shows to voice their displeasure over the Rockets' pursuit of Howard.  The sentiment is literally baffling.  He's unlikable, yes.  Quite frankly, I find him to be the most irritating, immature personality in basketball.  And he has his risks and warts.  But there's only one Tim Duncan (i.e. "perfect human being").  For everyone else, you weigh the risks and proceed when you have the opportunity.  I have to wonder, for these people who don't want Howard, whom exactly are they hoping for?

#86 manmythlegend

manmythlegend

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:18 AM

I think multiple picks with one being a lotto pick is the minimum for Asik. The draft class this year may be deep in the sense that the gap in quality between the top half and bottom half of the first round may be negligible. Afterall, a 6'10 center with limited offensive skills and coming of a torn ACL may go #1 overall.

Len would be a nice developmental pick to serve behind Howard. Zeller may not be around at the tenth pick.

How about this pick to make the Lin critics happy: Michael Carter Williams?

#87 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:30 AM

totally agree rahat

My new years resolution.....drink that special bottle of wine, take your son on that fishing trip, live each day as if it were my last because everyday of LIFE is special B)

#88 manmythlegend

manmythlegend

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:46 AM

Howard didn't leave Orlando because he no longer wanted to be the alpha dog. He wanted to be the alpha dog in a larger market and with better teammates than were available in Orlando. That's why LA was not a primary destination for him prior to the trade because Kobe was already there and was, at the time, years away from conceding his throne in LA. Things became so toxic in Orlando due to the whole Dwightmare episode that he had to finally acquiesce to a trade.

But make no mistake, Howard still considers himself a centerpiece of a franchise, in the same class as Lebron, Durant and Anthony. He will go to a team that gives him both the best chance to win and be the main man.

The Forbes article sort of trashes my previous arguments of the effect of the income tax, if in fact those numbers and the way the author formulated them are legitimate. I've read other articles that seem to minimize the tax benefit. Do we have an accountant on red94 on call to straighten this out?

Shaq left Orlando to come to LA and he never thought twice about the extra taxes he was going to experience by making the move. He thought more about his "brand", & being a pro athlete in LA would help facilitate that to a far greater degree. There was a recent article in the LA Times by TJ Simers where Howard said that there would be time later on for movies and other entertainment ventures, and that he wants to win now. What I gathered from that is he wants to, at some point, become a star outside of basketball, so things like that do matter to him. Whether or not it matters more to him right now than being a part of a team on the precipice of championship contention remains to be seen.

#89 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:21 AM

I'd be happy with 10 for asik maybe they throw in a 2nd. There is no way we'd get a high potential lotto pick from a team next year because just the chance of it being in the top 5 makes it highly valuable.

#90 Shaneoo88

Shaneoo88

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:44 AM

I am happy to keep Asik with Howard if we get him. They don't have to be on the court at the same time, all of the time. They can spend 5 minutes a half on the floor together, then for the rest of the game we will ALWAYS have top 5 defensive centre on the floor to anchor the defense.

Asik sets great screens as well, so he could use that tool to help Howard get dominate position on the low block.

I also think Asik is going to improve leaps and bounds on the offensive end over the off-season.

Morey won't want any first round picks because of the guarnatee salary. He would want to have max flexability.

#91 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:50 AM

He unimpressed me sometimes too. I think he's a horrible passer, doesn't finish as well at the rim as some might expect him to, but there are some things I like about him. I really like guards who get to the line, shoot 3's, and play super aggressive. I didn't watch him enough either to feel confident about him, part of me thinks he's underrated and another part of me thinks he might end up being nothing more than a role player off the bench. It's really hard to tell.

I'm not a draft expert, but I do wonder this.

What does Shabazz do that Glen Rice Jr don't really? I can see a slightly better wingspan and being somewhat younger and that's it, but I'm of the opinion that if your drafting a wing guy, age is less of a issue than in other places, most wings will show their ability to score almost right away, and their scoring profile wont' change that much between 19-22.  so if your drafting a wing who's not going to be a transcending scorer (and let's face it, no one in this draft is.)  you better pick someone who's ready right away. To me, Rice is that guy, playing well in the D league for a year is a huge step up from Division 1, he can hit 3s well beyond the NBA 3 line, at a higher volume AND efficiency than Shabazz, he has a smaller wing span but much better leap, and showed it consistently in the D League both in terms of exploding to the rim and grabbing rebounds, and he can even pass a little compare to Shabazz.

And if your worried about Rice's baggage but arguing for Shabazz that seems... weird.

This draft seems like the ultimate crap shoot, the widely projected #1 seem to be Serge Ibaka who hasn't learned how to shoot with a broken ACL, that's not a good sign. there should be plenty of gem in the back end though.

I don't profess to really know much about the draft though, but my general feeling is that projects tend to be way overrated and higher floor guys who can help right away tend to be underrated.

#92 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:02 AM

I'd be happy with 10 for asik maybe they throw in a 2nd. There is no way we'd get a high potential lotto pick from a team next year because just the chance of it being in the top 5 makes it highly valuable.

you're talking about dealing asik to Portland? NO WAY........Portland has a very good young team looking for a center. if they get asik......that's asik Aldridge, batum, lillard, and cap room to bring in a 2 guard. we would be making competition for ourselves. why should we help them........they do play in our conference you know.

My new years resolution.....drink that special bottle of wine, take your son on that fishing trip, live each day as if it were my last because everyday of LIFE is special B)

#93 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:03 AM

I am happy to keep Asik with Howard if we get him. They don't have to be on the court at the same time, all of the time. They can spend 5 minutes a half on the floor together, then for the rest of the game we will ALWAYS have top 5 defensive centre on the floor to anchor the defense.

Asik sets great screens as well, so he could use that tool to help Howard get dominate position on the low block.

I also think Asik is going to improve leaps and bounds on the offensive end over the off-season.

Morey won't want any first round picks because of the guarnatee salary. He would want to have max flexability.

agreed......and welcome to the forum :rolleyes:

#94 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:21 AM

you're talking about dealing asik to Portland? NO WAY........Portland has a very good young team looking for a center. if they get asik......that's asik Aldridge, batum, lillard, and cap room to bring in a 2 guard. we would be making competition for ourselves. why should we help them........they do play in our conference you know.

You're right Portland wouldn't be an ideal spot but I think they are the team we could get the most value from as well, not sure what late lottery eastern conference team would have major interest in asik, and with asik portland wont have much cap space if any.

#95 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:37 AM

I think Shabazz and Glen Rice Jr. is a good comparison. GRJ was supposed to be a lottery pick before all that drama. At age 20 Shabazz is a significantly better player than GRJ was at age 20 though, so you have to put age into account--by age 22 Shabazz could be a much better player. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not arguing for Shabazz, I'm just bringing him up in the discussion. You can say I'm on the fence with Shabazz, it should be obvious I have mixed feelings on whether or not he will be a good player. 

If you put me on the spot and made me choose who I would draft at #10 right now, I would actually lean towards Cody Zeller. I think his ability in transition would make him a great fit in the Rockets uptempo offense, and like I said earlier he reminds me a lot of Brook Lopez--that kind of says a lot considering Brook Lopez is finally starting to emerge as one of the leagues best big men.  

p.s. days ago I would have said Alex Len, but foot injuries on a guy his size are a huge reg flag imo. Daryl Morey seems to like taking risks though, we need to look no further than Royce White for proof of that. 

#96 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:41 AM

been looking at this cap situation and doing a little research. this is the best the rockets can do.

asik=8374646

lin=8374646

harden=13668750

t-jones=1551840

d-mo=1422720

parsons=926500

g-smith=884293

Beverly=788872

j-Anderson=916099

r-white=1719480

that's a total of 38627846 on ten players. the rockets have 100 grand counted against the cap for tyler Honeycutt whom they let go at the beginning of last season raising the cap amount to 38727846. because the rockets will only have 10 players under contract they will need to add 474 grand for 1 vacant cap hold raising the cap amount to 39201846. the rockets only need 1 vacant cap hold because D-12 will be the 12th player giving the rockets the minimum amount of players on the roster. if the cap lands at 60 mil the rockets will have the necessary room cutting the roster to these players and only moving t-rob. however what ever the amount the set cap from the NBA falls short of 60 mil the rockets must also move that much salary. of the players within the ten that the rockets would most like to move is Royce and this may not be an impossible task. the rocket still have 2 mil dollars they can apply in a trade this year. Royce makes a little over 1.7 mil. the rockets could tie him to a t-rob deal and ship the money along with him to pay his contract out. if the rockets can do that it will probably reduce the return on the deal in draft picks, but free up an additional 1.2 mil. the reason it will only free up this amount is by trading Royce it creates another vacant roster spot so an additional 474 grand much be added to the cap amount. however the total cap amount should the rocket be able to move both is 37482366 for nine players and 2 cap holds for 2 vacant roster spots. that leaves us enough room to sign howard to the max no matter what the cap is

#97 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:20 AM

You're right Portland wouldn't be an ideal spot but I think they are the team we could get the most value from as well, not sure what late lottery eastern conference team would have major interest in asik, and with asik portland wont have much cap space if any.

what does Portland have that they would be willing to give up for asik?  we aren't getting lillard, batum or Aldridge and they don't have anything else that would interest the rockets enough to give them asik. as for what eastern conference team that would be interested in asik? first let me say I am against trading asik, but just for the sake of argument.......philly(if Bynum walks), charlotte, Washington, Atlanta, Cleveland. Orlando and Milwaukee. trust me if we put him on the market there will be no shortage of teams pitching the rockets for his services

#98 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:30 AM

We can get their #10 pick, their 3 2nd round picks, and we should have cap space to spend on a free agent too. That's not too bad for Asik. 

p.s. the amount of cap space could be as high as 7 million

here's the list of free agents: http://www.hoopsworl...nba-free-agents

#99 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:36 AM

We can get their #10 pick, their 3 2nd round picks, and we should have cap space to spend on a free agent too. That's not too bad for Asik. 

their number 10 pick will add money to the salary cap because it is a 1st rounder. we are trying to open up more cap room so why would we do that, especially with no guarantee we will yet have D-12? especially in a draft where the best we can hope for is a role player who will need a couple of years grooming just to be useful to us. especially since we will be creating a better team within our own conference..............NO THANKS

#100 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:40 AM

The #10 pick would add around 1.8 million to the cap, we would still have around 7 million to spend. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users