Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  thejohnnygold : (24 July 2019 - 04:30 PM) The McLemore/Bennett pick-n-roll will be unstoppable :)
@  slick shoes : (23 July 2019 - 03:04 PM) McLemore is an interesting add. Apparently we are gathering all of the first round flops of the past few years
@  Mario Peña : (12 July 2019 - 03:06 AM) WHOA.
@  slick shoes : (08 July 2019 - 09:16 PM) I would have to assume that to bring in Russ we'd have to ship out CP. I don't see it working any other way.
@  thejohnnygold : (08 July 2019 - 08:45 PM) The money makes it virtually impossible...I wouldn't worry. I have to admit I find the idea of having Paul, Harden, and Westbrook on the floor together intriguing.
@  slick shoes : (08 July 2019 - 02:51 PM) im going to go ahead and pass on any westbrook to houston deals. iso hell.
@  slick shoes : (30 June 2019 - 11:43 PM) trevor ariza has absolutely zero interest in returning to houston lol
@  slick shoes : (28 June 2019 - 08:16 PM) Id rather lose EG or Clint than PJ and ONLY if were getting Jimmy. Sounds like we have a trade partner for Clint if Jimmy isnt using us for leverage for his 5 year max offer.
@  thejohnnygold : (26 June 2019 - 11:33 PM) Do y'all think if we all tweet at Morey to NOT trade PJ he'd listen?
@  slick shoes : (21 June 2019 - 01:20 AM) ....and the new uniforms are trash.
@  thejohnnygold : (15 June 2019 - 02:05 PM) Agreed. Although, the injury narrative will probably keep them chirping.
@  slick shoes : (14 June 2019 - 02:40 PM) SO glad all of the Warriors fanboys can crawl back into their respective holes for an entire year. Good for Toronto/Canada as well.
@  thejohnnygold : (05 June 2019 - 07:33 PM) I think so.
@  slick shoes : (04 June 2019 - 07:20 PM) Dame and CJ #2 I assume?
@  thejohnnygold : (30 May 2019 - 05:42 PM) 3rd best backcourt in the NBA!!!
@  slick shoes : (29 May 2019 - 09:04 PM) im sure hed be great alongside jrue holiday and no one else. 100% iso ball all the time.
@  thejohnnygold : (29 May 2019 - 06:46 PM) Anthony Davis + the #1 pick?
@  slick shoes : (29 May 2019 - 05:39 PM) shopping the entire team including james. what is the point if you trade our best player away? what could we possibly get in return that is equal value of james harden?
@  slick shoes : (11 May 2019 - 02:07 AM) turnovers and missed free throws the theme of the game thus far. throwing away endless points.
@  thejohnnygold : (09 May 2019 - 01:35 PM) I wish we had found a way to steal that game...it was there for the taking.

Photo

Dwight Howard Free Agency Watch

• Please log in to reply
574 replies to this topic

#61 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:02 AM

We'll see, I doubt it though, he already made 8.1 this year. 

As for depth, I completely disagree, the backup C drop off is much greater than whatever precised hole we have at PF, unless we're getting a all-star caliber PF . which seems unlikely to me.

#62 manmythlegend

manmythlegend

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:04 AM

Regardless of whether or not we trade T-Rob and White, we should trade Asik anyway because we need more depth at other positions.

Wouldn't trading away Asik then make your hope of playing Howard 30 mpg a far less likely scenario?

Let's not forget that adding someone the caliber of Howard at center will have beneficial effects on the point guard and power forward play.

#63 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:04 AM

I wasn't thinking too much about PF, more like back-ups at the 3 and 2. Greg Smith and Terrence Jones can be the 2nd and 3rd string at the 5.

#64 pharmag

pharmag

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:08 AM

first and foremost the rockets will not trade asik. he is their insurance policy. whoever they elect to move will be someone or a combination who they consider expendable. I agree with those who believe the rockets will at the very least take a look at the asik/D-12 lineup before making any decisions on asik.

I agree with this and do believe if could be effective.  Coming out of high school, Dwight was noted for having a solid jump shot and his upside was considered Kevin Garnett as a PF/C who played primarily PF.

http://preps.scout.com/2/269335.html

http://sports.espn.g...?playerId=18627

He also has a pretty good looking jump shot.  I think it is just a matter of practicing it.  

That is not to say Howard needs to be shooting jumpers, but if he can develop a reliable jumper (40-45%), running pick and roll/pop with Harden would be deadly with Parsons, Beverly (reliable 3-pt shooting guard), Asik.  Imagine this:  Howard sets screen for Harden about the wing with Asik set up just outside the pain opposite the screen. Parsons sets up in corner on same side as screen.  Beverly starts in other corner and drifts to wing as Harden drives.  That play gives you the following options depending on how defense rotates: Harden lay-up, Howard jumper, Howard drive & dunk, Asik dunk, Parsons 3 pointer, Beverly 3 pt (Harden to Parsons to Howard to Beverly).

The benefits on the defensive end are pretty self explanatory.

#65 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:12 AM

I felt like this is relevant to the discussion. 

@BimaThug thanks. Do you have any suggestions to what we do for depth if we get Dwight? Trade Asik?

@2016Champions The Room Exception, veterans minimum, the 34th pick, and Furkan Aldemir. That should be fine for next year.

For those who don't know, The Room Exception is $2.652M, max 2 years.

#66 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:18 AM

To add to what pharmag said, I've read that Dwight was a 80-90% free throw shooter in high school. Those days are obviously over (maybe because it's harder to shoot with big hands?), but he does shoot around 60% from the line for his NBA career. I think his recent dip in free throw percentage is largely due to shoulder problems (unless his hands had an unexplanable growth spurt).

#67 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:21 AM

Steroids?

Why so Serious? :D

#68 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:10 AM

To add to what pharmag said, I've read that Dwight was a 80-90% free throw shooter in high school. Those days are obviously over (maybe because it's harder to shoot with big hands?), but he does shoot around 60% from the line for his NBA career. I think his recent dip in free throw percentage is largely due to shoulder problems (unless his hands had an unexplanable growth spurt).

I think the free throw shooting problem is in his head. he recently did a free throw shooting contest with a mother of three for charity. he talked about the free throw problem and is suppose to work out with chris mullin this summer. he admits he thinks to much at the line.....that's a lack of confidence in his shot..........that's fixable to some degree. he needs to establish a routine at the line

My new years resolution.....drink that special bottle of wine, take your son on that fishing trip, live each day as if it were my last because everyday of LIFE is special B)

#69 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:48 AM

I think the free throw shooting problem is in his head. he recently did a free throw shooting contest with a mother of three for charity. he talked about the free throw problem and is suppose to work out with chris mullin this summer. he admits he thinks to much at the line.....that's a lack of confidence in his shot..........that's fixable to some degree. he needs to establish a routine at the line

I believe this shows how mentally weak D12 is. Successful players in the NBA don't rely strictly on their physical talents. The best players are able to focus and become mentally tougher than their opponents. I just don't see D12 ever changing. I believe he is destined to be a mentally weak player throughout his playing career. Maybe he needs a few sessions with that Yoda fella that RBF mentioned in another message board.

#70 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:54 AM

Unless his torn labrum was in his left shoulder, I think you guys are being ridiculous. 

#71 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:02 AM

I agree with this and do believe if could be effective.  Coming out of high school, Dwight was noted for having a solid jump shot and his upside was considered Kevin Garnett as a PF/C who played primarily PF.

http://preps.scout.com/2/269335.html

http://sports.espn.g...?playerId=18627

He also has a pretty good looking jump shot.  I think it is just a matter of practicing it.  

That is not to say Howard needs to be shooting jumpers, but if he can develop a reliable jumper (40-45%), running pick and roll/pop with Harden would be deadly with Parsons, Beverly (reliable 3-pt shooting guard), Asik.  Imagine this:  Howard sets screen for Harden about the wing with Asik set up just outside the pain opposite the screen. Parsons sets up in corner on same side as screen.  Beverly starts in other corner and drifts to wing as Harden drives.  That play gives you the following options depending on how defense rotates: Harden lay-up, Howard jumper, Howard drive & dunk, Asik dunk, Parsons 3 pointer, Beverly 3 pt (Harden to Parsons to Howard to Beverly).

The benefits on the defensive end are pretty self explanatory.

If I was the opponent's coach, I would love to see D12 shooting jump shots rather than doing damage in the lane. I think it's pure fantasy to believe D12 can be solid outside as well as inside. I mean, the dude can't even hit his free throws consistently and there is NO defensive pressure on him there.

#72 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:42 AM

If I was the opponent's coach, I would love to see D12 shooting jump shots rather than doing damage in the lane. I think it's pure fantasy to believe D12 can be solid outside as well as inside. I mean, the dude can't even hit his free throws consistently and there is NO defensive pressure on him there.

Your right that opposing coach would always rather see him outside, but that's really not because of what you think, it's more because that he's so good inside that he would have to be exceptional outside to really make that tradeoff worthwhile.

Dwight Howard, 2 years ago, shot 42% from 10 feet out (excluding the 8 3 pointer he all missed.) . that's actually a great percentage, it's better than a lot  of the jump shooting PF/Cs,  he didn't shoot at quite that volume (guys like West / Z bo shoot around 300ish from 2 pt range) but was also not just an once in a blue moon thing either . (he took close to 2 per game. so he had in the mid 100s.) 

Chandler Parsons couldn't even hit free throws last year either (worse than Dwight's career average!), he was making crazy 3s this year (while still being a below average free throw shooter.)  Free throw is a decent gauge into a guy's shooting ability, but it's hardly the end all. some guys just can't shoot facing strait at the basket, sometimes it's a mental thing of caring too much about it.  if you look at Dwight, he's had 

In the theoretic of having an Asik / Howard lineup, the thing obviously isn't to have them shoot long 2s a lot, it's that they need to shoot it at least once in awhile to keep other teams honest enough. and frankly I think most people assume too much on that, there are very few guys in the NBA that really can't hit an open J if they're standing where they're comfortable.

There's a few 4s that really hit 3s at enough of a rate and volume that this could present problems, but  that's what you have different bench players for. 

#73 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:45 AM

just to push that point a little further..............the asik /howard lineup's real benefit is defense. some here are acting like that is the only lineup we will have access to. we have a stable of young PFs who will get pt. however in the last 5 minutes of games we could put this defensive lineup on the floor bev, harden, parsons, howard, asik. that's going to give any team in the league trouble scoring. more times than not the team that is able to keep the other team from scoring in the closing minutes of games WIN. defense win championships. every team in the league has players who  can get hot and cause a problem within a game, but the team that can fall back on it's defense have more success winning. look at the final's right now and the playoffs overall this year.......the teams who play good defense made noise this year. one team in particular Memphis isn't really a good scoring team, but because they have those two trees inside have the ability to make it difficult for teams to score on them. also I don't think this lineup will be as offensively challenged as some here seen to believe. big body's are great for setting picks and with howard's ability to catch the passes asik missed on the pick and roll this year..............sounds good to go in my book.

My new years resolution.....drink that special bottle of wine, take your son on that fishing trip, live each day as if it were my last because everyday of LIFE is special B)

#74 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:55 AM

Dwight averages 38.9 minutes per game for his playoff career, and he has even averaged as much as 43 minutes in a series. So just ask yourself this:

Is it worth it to pay 8.3 million per year for a guy we only need to average 5-9 minutes in the playoffs? 

#75 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:13 AM

Dwight averages 38.9 minutes per game for his playoff career, and he has even averaged as much as 43 minutes in a series. So just ask yourself this:

Is it worth it to pay 8.3 million per year for a guy we only need to average 5-9 minutes in the playoffs? 

5-9 minutes? you can bet asik is going to get a whole lot more than that. also 8.3 mil is a bargain for a big man of asik's abilities. ask yourself is it worth it to trade a bargain contract big man who who can be a valued asset to the team or an average underachieving point guard who is making the exact same contract. my vote goes to keeping asik

#76 manmythlegend

manmythlegend

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:14 AM

Weren't you all for keeping Asik and having him as a plus backup and regular season preservative for Howard not a few days ago? You remember, "Play Dwight 30 minutes a game to save his back and have Asik perform mop-up duty in all blowout games".

I'm not calling you out on this, but we did have a rather lengthy back and forth in the last Dwight Howard thread, so the change in stance is a little surprising.

I presume the change in tune is primarily due to the salary cap realities related to signing Howard...

#77 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:32 AM

Yes, I've been on both sides of the fence when it comes to whether or not we should keep Asik. There is always more than one perspective and I make an effort of acknowledging that from time to time, although sometimes I get narrow minded too like we all do (some more than others). Here are some of my thoughts:

• We could keep Asik until the trade deadline. There are about 50 regular season games before the deadline, and pacing Dwight for those 50 games could really pay off in the playoffs. 
  • I don't really have a full understanding of Dwight's injury. How important is it that we take it easy on his back? Dr. Klapper said that it takes 9-12 months for his back to fully recover, and it has been 12 months now so maybe I'm worrying more than I need to.
  • If we trade Asik straight away rather than waiting for the trade deadline, we can keep Greg Smith who isn't a horrible back-up. Personally I think even Terrence Jones can play better defense at center than Greg Smith so we don't really need him, but some people here will disagree with me on this, honestly I can see why there are people who are very high on Greg Smith even though I'm not as high on him.
  • The Portland Trailerblazers might trade their #10 pick for Asik. I'm quite interested in Shabazz, I think he would be a steal at #10

#78 manmythlegend

manmythlegend

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:39 AM

<p>
Yes, I've been on both sides of the fence when it comes to whether or not we should keep Asik. There is always more than one perspective and I make an effort of acknowledging that from time to time, although sometimes I get narrow minded too like we all do (some more than others). Here are some of my thoughts:

• We could keep Asik until the trade deadline. There are about 50 regular season games before the deadline, and pacing Dwight for those 50 games could really pay off in the playoffs.
  • I don't really have a full understanding of Dwight's injury. How important is it that we take it easy on his back? Dr. Klapper said that it takes 9-12 months for his back to fully recover, and it has been 12 months now so maybe I'm worrying more than I need to.
  • If we trade Asik straight away rather than waiting for the trade deadline, we can keep Greg Smith who isn't a horrible back-up. Personally I think even Terrence Jones can play better defense at center than Greg Smith so we don't really need him, but some people here will disagree with me on this, and I can see why there are people who are very high on Greg Smith.
It's all good. I think for a player of Howard's abilities and at the stage of his career, it's surprising that there are so many question marks when it comes to signing him. At the end of the day, I suppose you just get him and figure out the answers later.

I didn't see much of Shabazz while he was at UCLA, but I wasn't terribly impressed. Didn't look to be in great shape, was a volume scorer/shooter, and comes with a lot of baggage. There's a OJ Mayo-ish aroma coming from him, which I suppose with the 10th pick wouldn't be such a bad acquisition. I just don't know what he would add other than scoring off the bench.

#79 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:03 AM

He unimpressed me sometimes too. I think he's a horrible passer, doesn't finish as well at the rim as some might expect him to, but there are some things I like about him. I really like guards who get to the line, shoot 3's, and play super aggressive. I didn't watch him enough either to feel confident about him, part of me thinks he's underrated and another part of me thinks he might end up being nothing more than a role player off the bench. It's really hard to tell.

#80 manmythlegend

manmythlegend

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:25 AM

He unimpressed me sometimes too. I think he's a horrible passer, doesn't finish as well at the rim as some might expect him to, but there are some things I like about him. I really like guards who get to the line, shoot 3's, and play super aggressive. I didn't watch him enough either to feel confident about him, part of me thinks he's underrated and another part of me thinks he might end up being nothing more than a role player off the bench. It's really hard to tell.

Back to one of your points regarding Asik: Isn't he worth more than the 10th pick in what is universally considered a poor draft class? Asik is already a top 10 starting center in the NBA. I understand that if he needs to move in order to acquire Howard, then you get what you can get for him, but still Asik would be an anchor for a majority of teams at center.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users