Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.
@  Mario Peña : (13 September 2015 - 05:24 PM) Sad to see Moses pass. I don't remember watching him as a Rocket but I do remember his Philly and Hawks teams. He was the perfect man to mentor Dream. It's a very sad day for his family and friends and there are many.
@  majik19 : (12 September 2015 - 09:01 PM) i just saw a post wishing Yao Ming a happy 35th birthday... am I the only one whose mind is blown that he's only 35?
@  cointurtlemoose : (08 September 2015 - 01:17 AM) aaaah, thanks jorge
@  jorgeaam : (08 September 2015 - 12:21 AM) Love it how Hinkie and Morey always target the same players, but hoping he isn't another Covington
@  thejohnnygold : (08 September 2015 - 12:03 AM) Christian Wood has signed with Philly
@  jorgeaam : (07 September 2015 - 10:32 PM) If I'm not wrong, he hasn't been waived yet, they have until october 4th to do that
@  cointurtlemoose : (07 September 2015 - 05:39 PM) Anyone else surprised that Kostas hasn't gotten picked up by anyone yet? I wanna see that guy play somewhere
@  redfaithful : (05 September 2015 - 10:48 PM) Llull line from today loss to Serbia: 30MIN 1-10PG, 0-5 3PG, 4-4FT 6AST, 1TO, 4REB, +/- -11
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:27 AM) this dude's gun fired and all he got a misdemeanor at bush lol: http://abc13.com/new...ush-iah/815795/
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:26 AM) theres more articles all over, but the jist is houston (and texas) doesn't really arrest for it, they just recommend you leave it in your car when they catch it. So seems dwight got lucky he was in texas and not cali or the NE.
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:22 AM) honestly we should just be glad they caught it...
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:21 AM) response: http://nymag.com/dai...n_airplane.html

Photo

Dwight Howard Free Agency Watch

• Please log in to reply
574 replies to this topic

#561 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:35 AM

You can say that about Facebook and other social media has changed the interaction between humans. Notice how people will have dinner or hang out and everyone are on their smartphones?

People live In a 140 character world. When was the last time you read a long news article or investigative piece?

#562 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,008 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:37 AM

Everyday. I don't have twitter or Facebook.

#563 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPipPip
      • 671 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:43 AM

I'm talking about the younger generation so I agree with sir thursday

#564 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 2,008 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:50 AM

I'm 28.

#565 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
          • 1,415 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:59 AM

New post: Dwight Howard Free Agency Watch: The Final Chapter in Story Form
            By: rahat huq

First, I want to apologize.  As has been the case during the most critical of moments, Red94 has been down throughout the day.

Secondly, if you're reading this, and just heard of the news on your own, without actually following it live on Twitter....well then, I envy you.  I cannot even begin to articulate how bizarre and draining the past few hours have been.

If you're just now dropping in, first read my previous installment on the earlier part of this afternoon when things first hit the fan after the Warriors managed to sign Andre Iguodala.

Look at what then transpired, with my corresponding thoughts:

http://storify.com/RedNinetyFour/the-afternoon-of-july-15-2013.html

At one point in there, Wojnarowski, indisputably the most credible reporter right now in the business, had tweeted that the Iguodala signing had taken the Warriors out of the running, leaving only the Rockets in the Howard sweepstakes.  He shortly recanted, leaving my blood pressure at untenable levels.

Just an absolute rollercoaster from Sam Amick first breaking the news, to others confirming, to Wojnarowski then disputing the prior reports, to then even Daryl Morey himself tweeting that he had not been given a final indication.  Finally, ESPN reported, via Chris Broussard, that the Lakers had been notified that Howard would not return.  Absolutely exhausting to experience, live.

As I type, the Rockets have now just traded Royce White to Philadelphia and are currently exploring deals for center Omer Asik as they construct their new team.  I'll have more thoughts on the significance of the Howard acquisition in the coming hours.

#566 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
            • 2,298 posts
            • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:26 AM

That Dwight Howard has arrived in LA cannot bode well for Morey and the Rockets.
            How sweet it is!

#567 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 2,008 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:00 AM

Steven A talked to D12 himself. Its over, he is a HOUSTON ROCKET!!!!

#568 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
              • 1,415 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:03 AM

New post: Dwight Howard Free Agency Watch: Final Decision

I am literally exhausted.  About an hour or so ago, after the celebrations had begun, news broke that apparently Howard had actually not decided and was still 50/50 on his decision.  After some panic, just a few minutes ago, it was reported that Howard has officially committed to Houston.  I'm going to bed.

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/353345576626167808

https://twitter.com/AP_Sports/status/353340817450074113

#569 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 2,008 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:55 AM

New post: Dwight Howard Free Agency Watch: Final Decision

I am literally exhausted. About an hour or so ago, after the celebrations had begun, news broke that apparently Howard had actually not decided and was still 50/50 on his decision. After some panic, just a few minutes ago, it was reported that Howard has officially committed to Houston. I'm going to bed.
                  https://twitter.com/...345576626167808
                  https://twitter.com/...340817450074113

Bed, WTF? It's Friday night, our Christmas morning, and your going to bed. What's next you're going to be drinking warm Milk to help you sleep? It's SuperBeardSanity!!!!!

Edited by Steven, 06 July 2013 - 03:56 AM.

#570 Hockey the Harden Way

Hockey the Harden Way

• Members
                  • Pip
                  • 41 posts
                  • LocationGlendale, Arizona

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:42 AM

Well we got Dwight...  Don't ask me why I'm not as jazzed about the Rockets as much as I am about the Phoenix Coyotes..........

I was never a Dwight fan....  I'm not a McHale fan.....  (I AM an Asik fan, and rumors say he wants out.....  Depressing.) The Rockets run an ad-hoc half-court offense under McHale.  Harden penetrates, dishes to three shooter of big under the basket.  If Harden can relinquish scoring for dimes to Dwight off penetration or transition, this team will be fine..... But a constant running game is not Dwight's cup of tea....  Dwight likes scoring off the post, and overpowering the defense.  If he can learn to dish off to cutters or three-point shooters, he'll be fine as well.  But this will be new tricks for him.

Dwight is at his best with an early-set half-court offense, where he gets into position before the defenders can, to get the post-up advantage.  And Dwight (in McHale's words about Lin) is a "home run" type of player.  The first item the Rockets were not good at last season, the second issue might short-circuit the Honeymoon if there is lack of communication between guards and Howard.  This was an issue with Steve Nash last season.  (Mike Brown was fired because the Lakers were unable to get their half-court offense set quickly enough.  D'Antoni worked better here, but Howard didn't like it.)

Because Asik was already a top 10 center, if not top 5, I don't see Howard as a monumental improvement (aside from handling passes in traffic, Howard is miles ahead of Asik), and because McHale is not a good with devising effective plays in the half-court offense, Howard's role will likely be relegated to setting himself up for offensive rebounds, because only Harden is effective creating on his own in the Rockets half-court system.  If Dwight can consistently clean the glass after missed layups, he'll be worth the hype.

And finally, the FT shooting.......  I think McHale will handle this differently......  I think he'll bench Howard in the 4th quarter to avoid "Hack-a-Dwight"......  Mind you, we used this very strategy to perfection against the Lakers last season.  (I can picture a major rift if McHale were to do that.  Howard has a big and fragile ego.)  And because we don't finish close games well, "Hack-a-Dwight" could become a major problem, worse than with his past teams.

I just fear a repeat of the Lakers' train wreck last season.  Or more injuries.  (Dwight is not exactly durable.)  I hope I'm very wrong.  GO ROCKETS!!

#571 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 2,008 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:06 PM

Phoenix has a hockey team?

You're already talking about the team that lead the league in scoreing, and they just picked up 7 more points with Dwight. Dwight gets them an extra rebound a game, and blocks a shot and a half more. Plus lets see what they get when flipping Asik (Please NO JSmooth Morey, you can do better). Maybe a three way with Asik going somewhere, Pacers getting pieces and the Rockers picking up Danny Granger. Lets are what happens.

#572 sircharles

sircharles

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 283 posts
                    • LocationAustin Tx

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:39 PM

why would we want granger? we have parsons?

#573 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • 2,008 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:50 PM

why would we want granger? we have parsons?

McHale goes small Parsons/Granger at the 4, backup Parsons/Harden on the wing each can play 35 minutes and save themselves for the playoffs.

Edited by Steven, 06 July 2013 - 02:51 PM.

#574 bboley24

bboley24

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 393 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:02 PM

Granger for 3...

#575 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
                        • 2,298 posts
                        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:11 PM

As most forum members know I am a huge Kevin McHale fan and I believe he has been pivotal in convincing Dwight Howard to come to Houston. When I think about this Rockets team I see a lot of young guys with the potential to be great and that includes leadership, it's clear McHale is the leader of the Rockets right now.

I am extremely excited the Rockets have acquired Howard and I expect to see him settle into being a great teammate once again especially when considering how the Rockets fit him strategically and emotionally, this is his second act.

What we have the potential to see is that the Rockets may have 2 NBA First Teamers, the Rockets have immediately been catapulted into the NBA elite. Howard and Harden should single handedly get entire front lines into foul trouble. These two players make everyone on the floor better and the season might be easy once they gel but the post season will be the true test.

Another thing, Houston is now a destination.

How sweet it is!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users