Let me preface this by saying that this is the first game I have seen so far this preseason. I do not have CSN and was unable to make it out to Toyota Center on Friday. I also did not see any of the summer league games. So take these remarks within that context. (Though I think that kind of blind ignorance can make analysis more truthful in some instances.) Anyways, here are my thoughts:
- Jeremy Lin looked horrendous. Not only did he miss shots but most of his passes were errant as well. He seemed extremely out of it running the offense. I don’t know how he looked in the other games. As I’ve said though, I don’t care how he plays. If it’s the case that his signing, and the opportunities it brought to ownership, was the impetus for allowing the front office to rebuild, then he’s worth every penny.
- As I write this, Carlos Delfino is in the game. He’s done pretty well, I guess, but I’m getting irritated just at the thought of it. Why is he on this roster? He has no future on this team. And he’s not a “veteran” in that sense. If you want veteran leadership, go sign some 35 year old. As I tweeted, I will be absolutely livid if both Kevin Martin and Delfino see heavy minutes this year to the detriment of Jeremy Lamb.
- Lamb didn’t really do much…but I think he will be a star. He has that ballhandling and shiftiness that all of the top shooting guards possess. And he really likes to use the midrange jumper which is a plus. Skill-wise he has all of the tools.
- I thought Scott Machado looked tremendous running the second unit. At one point I counted consecutive direct basket assists from him in the second half. I think you’ll probably see him as the backup at shooting guard. Keep in mind, though, I haven’t seen Livingston at point yet.
- A few of you have asked me for which position Terrence Jones is best suited. I’d say, definitively, the ’4′ spot. He’s quick, but probably not quick enough for the ’3′. But at the ’4′, he can really be a matchup problem. He can stretch the floor with his shooting, postup, and can go in off the dribble. On multiple occasions, he pump faked at the perimeter and drove in on his man. On one play, he crossed over and came back to his scoring hand. These are extremely unique skills for a power forward. I envision him really causing problems for defenders at some point with this versatility.
- Motiejunas: He can be a star. On one play, he led the fastbreak, dishing to Machado and getting it back for the layup. On other sets, he stepped out for the 3. And at other times, he drove in, spun, faking in one direction, then coming back for a sweet jump hook. Like Jones, insane versatility with the shooting+driving combination.
- Asik: He was the big story here tonight. Through 3 quarters, he already had 13 points, 10 boards, and 5 assists. In conjunction with what I already knew about him from the past, and what he’s done so far this preseason, I don’t think its too soon to say this signing will be viewed as an absolute bargain. It’s still hilarious to me how strongly this acquisition was mocked and trashed by the public and media. The guy straight up produced when given a chance on one of the best defenses in basketball. He will now anchor this team for the next few years. That’s extremely comforting because competent defensive centers are probably the rarest commodity in basketball. Again, to get a guy that young, that good defensively, at just $8million is an absolute bargain.
- More Asik: What also impressed me was the passing. He ended up with like 5, I believe. (Too lazy to look it up.) But several of them were of the interior variety, to other big men.
- I’m really anxious to see Marcus Morris and Royce White in action. From what I’ve seen already from Jones and Motiejunas, in combination with the fact that Patterson is the incumbent (sort of?) starter, I fear White might already be the odd man out. We’ll see.
- The elevator guy just now asked me “how was it? Was it as bad as the score?” Honestly, I didn’t even know the score or the margin. That’s the interesting thing about this year. I really could not care less how this team does. I care about the rookies, Asik, Lin, and Parsons.
We had to deactivate the comment plugin for now as it was causing some overload issues on the server. Please comment in the forum for now until we can resolve this problem.